Our new years’ resolution for 2022 was to have Friday cocktail nights, making our favourite cocktails or trying new ones. While it might not be Friday, it is my husband’s birthday today so we’ll be celebrating with a cocktail or two later!
His favourite cocktail is an Old Fashioned, a whiskey based cocktail dating back to the 1800’s. Choose good quality whiskey for a smoother cocktail and adjust the levels of simple syrup and bitters to suit your taste.
This recipe makes 1 serving. To make it, you will need:
- 50 mls whiskey
- 15 mls simple syrup*
- A few dashes of Angostura bitters
- Orange peel for garnish
- Combine whiskey, sugar syrup and Angostura bitters in a short glass.
- Twist the orange peel to get the aromas, and place into the glass.
- Add 2 or 3 ice cubes, stir to combine and enjoy
*To make simple syrup:
- Add equal parts sugar and water (e.g one cup sugar, one cup water) to a small saucepan over a low heat for about 10 minutes
- Gently stir the mixture until it dissolves and forms a slightly runny syrup that’s about half the original volume
- Once the syrup is ready, let it cool before adding to your cocktail mixture. If you’re making a large batch, strain it into a jar and seal the lid tightly. Pop it in the fridge, it will keep for about a month.
Recipe & image credit: Olive